Sunday 1 April 2018

EVALUATION: How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?


SCRIPT
For our course work our set-topic was A music video promotion . The three texts that i had to create in relation to this were a music video promotion (made in a group), a digipak and a tour poster. In order to create these products i had to learn how to use various hardware and software to assist me in all stages of planning, production and editing. this was important because without this i would not have been able to design and produce effective and semi- professional looking products

Pre-Production & Planning:
During the pre-production stage I used various websites and software to create and present my research and planning materials.

I used different features within google drive during the researching and planning stage. I mainly used the features to create presentations and audience questionnaires. To present my work I used google slides and for my questionnaires I used google forms. I also used the drive space to store all my work such as images, fonts vidoes, word documents with research notes etc. I found google drive very beneficial because it meant that there was somewhere secure that i could store my files and then easily access from another computer at a later date. Also I found that this software was also easy to navigate around even when reviewing my previous work.

I mainly used google slides and google forms.
I used google forms to help me create a questionnaire on understanding what types of content that our target audience wanted to get out/ see in our music video, or a tour poster and digipak. This software abled me to ask what fonts the audience would prefer, layout designs, colour schemes etc. I was able to even add images. I found that this was very beneficial when it came to planning every aspect of our products as we were able to have an insight into what our target audience wanted. I found that it was simple to send out these questionnaires as i could print them off or email them the link to the page to do the service. Even when receiving answers the software put the results into graphs and organized the answers in order for you to analyse them. I believe this was extremely beneficial as it meant that after we got audience feedback we were able to make sense of the information faster.

Additionally I used google slides which is a online version of powerpoint. I used this software to present research and plan aspects for the music video, tour poster or digipak as well as create the layout designs for my tour poster and digipak. This was because this software had many functions including ones that abled me to simply insert images and videos. For example there were pre-designs that allowed me to present my work in a professional way without having to download a lot of styles, fonts and designs. Additionally, it was simple to import images, charts and URLs. Overall, I thought that this software was beneficial and had many advantages: being that it saved automatically; you could import images and vidoes easily; and you could share the slides to other members of the group so they could view and edit and you could see the changes happening. On the other hand, i did feel like you could not present this presentation as creatively as other presentation software like prezi.

The only issue with Google drive is that internet access is required to use the system. Which meant that the people who we wanted to answer our questionnaire would need to have Wi-Fi. This was a disadvantage that could not have been overcome. There were a few issues where i did not have internet access, however i just typed up my work onto microsoft word and then when i gained internet access i uploaded them.

I used a lot of google sites alongside google slides to present my work during the researching and planning stage. One of these being Prezi, I used prezi to present the Recces and the music video analysis.Prezi is a website in which enables anyone to create presentations. This is a software which is more complex than google slides due to its functions and layouts, however it does make your presentation look simpler and more aesthetically pleasing for the viewer. This is due to the fact that they have a wide range of templates you can apply to your work. The difficulties that i had when it came into using this software was that their is not a tutorial or demo video that explains all of the functions so it took me a while to understand what does what. Additionally, due to this software being a website meant that internet was needed for it to work. Therefore, if my internet was slow or i did not have access i was not able to do any work.

Production:
We had to use how to use these cameras in a short amount of time, which meant that we did not have an immense amount of knowledge when we came to filming for our music video. When we were shooting off site from boa we had to carry our equipment to the location of our shoot. This was difficult to do because we were carrying: a tripod; a DSLR a shoulder rig, fig rig, LED lights etc. We distributed the equipment between us when traveling to prevent the risk of injury or someone dropping the equipment.

When I took the photos of the artists for my tour poster and digipak I used a DLSR camera which was the Canon 760D with the 50mm EF Lens. This was helpful as could take high quality images so my digipak and tour poster could look professional. Also as i have used one before it did not take me long to adjust the lighting and get it the right shutter speed and light intake that I wanted so my image came out good.

For my tour poster and digipak I booked out a studio and I used a tripod and had 2 Yongnuo YN36’s and 2 Lishuai Panel lights. The yongnuo lights were the most beneficial lights I had booked out as they could change colours and were very bright. These lights were able to change to blue and pink which are the colours that I had on my artists for my tour poster, and these lights were white when i was taking images for my digipak front and back cover. I realised that there were some difficulties with these lights when finding out turing down what dials to make certain colours. I found this quite difficult and spent a lot of time trying to work them out.

During production the technologies that were used for the music video consisted of the Canon 760D with a 55mm lens. This made our videos look professional, as it was filmed in high definition which meant that the footage that we had taken looked clear when focused. With this camera we could also adjust how much light we let into the camera, which meant that when we were filming in the dark TV studio the models could still be seen to a degree without the LED lights. When filming we did have a difficulty with the sim card. In which the camera kept saying that the storage was full, even when we had deleted some footage. We had to find an SD card at the last minutes which was difficult and very unexpected.

When filming our music video we had 2 Yongnuo YN36’s in which allowed us to light up our models. These LED lights also allowed us change their colour so that we could have pink and blue casted upon or models faces. These lights were very effective as when turned up to 100% they were very pigmented and bright. they were also light and easy to carry, which was beneficial for when we were shooting on location. The only issue i found with these were that it took awhile to find the colour that you wanted as the settings were quite complex and when we booked them out we did not have instructions so we spent a lot of time trying to find the right setting.

Post-Production:
I used both I Macs and Windows computers during the post production stage. I found it easier to use an Mac as i own one myself and therefore are more familiar with the functions. Additionally, I found that when i was using a windows computer, the computer did not have the capacity to cope with the size of the file I had when editing the music video. Often when i tried to adjust the graphics or make major changes to the layers the system would crash. This was because of the RAM not being best suited for the Adobe Premiere Pro.

I used premier pro CC 2017 when editing the music video. This software i found quite self explanty to use as i was told the basic knowledge in class, such as using the razer tool to split the clips; how to add graphic texts etc. Also i watched a lot of youtube tutorials when there was anything else i wanted to do. Apart from this i found that when using the software i noticed different functions like how to change the opacity, how to green screen etc. I added sound at the beginning of my music video in which i downloaded from the internet and placed it under the song. I thought that this would add the to the house style that we were going for as a group. Also visual effects I used were adding a glitch effect in which appeared on the dancers when they were dancing. For this i watched a youtube tutorial and I learnt that i had to download a video of a tv glitch and use the razer tool to cut and place the glitch where i wanted it in the music video. I then changed the opacity to make sure that it look more realistic and so it did not cover the main dancers completely. I personally enjoyed working with this piece of software as i found there was so many functions that could make my music video look more professional. For example I colour graded the shots that were taken in the studio so that the colours blue and pink were more enchanted. Additionally, i adjusted the speed of the different clips. I found that there were a few difficulties that I had were mainly that the computers were not able to cope with the file capacity so that when i was trying to edit the video was lagging. I turned the quality down from full to ¼ and then i went into the performance preferences and changed the focus RAM to 6.5GB on premier pro and 1.5 on other applications so that more of the computer's RAM was focused at Premier Pro. However, this did not make much of a change, it only meant that at ¼ quality it would not lag, however i could not turn up the quality. This meant that only when i exported my project i could see the true quality of the video.

I also used Adobe Encoder to queue our music video instead of exporting directly from premiere pro this is because after watching youtube tutorials i realised that this would be the best way to export the video and keep the quality high. This therefore was a benefit to my music video, i did not have any issues this this software as the youtube tutorials were quite self explanatory for this. The only problem was that it look around 3 hours to export 3:28 minutes of footage and audio in contrast to premier pro that would export in under 30 minutes. This was not a big issue as i could leave it to queue while I edited on print products in photoshop.

I used Adobe Photoshop in order to edit both of my ancillary tasks, which were my tour poster and digipak. When creating my digipak and tour poster I found that photoshop was the easiest software for me to use for this. I did attempt to use indesign but i just felt that i understood photoshop better after doing other projects with the software, therefore i was already familiar with the tools that it had to offer. In this software i mainly used the tools which were the spot healing tool; eraser; opacity; cut and select tool; dodge and burn tool; surface blur, to smoothen the skin of my models; text tool to help me layout the texts; brightness and contrast; as well as a lot of other tools. I released recently how much this software has to offer in order to make your projects look as professional as possible. The only problem that i had when using this software was that I had to keep downloading my fonts as the computers at college would not remember them, and doing this took quite a long time. Time which i could be using effectively by editing

Evaluation:
When writing my evaluations/ planning what to write i used google docs. The only factor that i really like about this in comparison to any other way that i could have planned and worte notes was due to the idea that it was online. To me this was extremely helpful. This was because I travel around a fair amount and being able to access my notes from any computer came in handy especially when i was trying to meet deadlines. Despite, how much i liked this feature it was not helpful when i had my laptop but no internet connection, as i would not be able to access my work. So if i was traveling in the car and wanted to jot down a few notes i couldn't.

When i was presenting my 3rd evaluation which was on audience feedback i used google slides. I found this very easy to place text, online images and destop photos. Even though it comes with pre-designs when presenting my evaluations i chose to design the layout myself. In doing this the software was very allowing. However, i did want to insert other fonts to use in my presentation. Unfortunately this software does not allow other fonts to be uploaded, which in a way took away my creative element in presenting in this format. Despite this there were more positive features than bad.

To present my 1st evaluation which was on codes and conventions i used my mac to record video record. However, when i was editing it i realised that my computer's sound and visuals lag so that it does not look in time. Luckily, i used my iphone 6 to record audio in memos just in case. Therefore when i was editing i could just sync them together. With doing this there were many difficulties as my mac’s video was still behind, which meant that i stuggled to get the audio to match the visuals. After a while I worked out that i could attempt to adapt the speed of the visuals to try and match my audio. Even though i found a way around it, this was very time consuming and caused a lot of hassle- just doing this took me an average of 6 hours, which was ridiculously long. After this, i used premier pro to add in pictures that i had screenshot off my mac or videos that i have screen recorded off my mac. I found by my mac being able to do this was very beneficial as it meant that i could make my evaluation more visually pleasing and easier for someone to understand when I relate my products to professional products. During the editing of this video i did not experience many issues form the programme Premier pro. However, when I came to export my final product i kept getting a notice saying that there was a rendering error. Unfortunately, when i had this error it was on the weekend so i could not even call up Adobe premiere pro support to get help. Therefore, I had to wait till Monday at 8am to contact them about helping me export my evaluation. This caused a lot of issues for me as i did not know if my evaluation would be able to be posted at all or if i would have to spend more time on presenting this again. This made me very unhappy as i spend over 14 hours working on the editing of it.

For this evaluation I am using soundcloud to present my information. I used this last year and i found that it was quite self explanatory in recording and posting. I am currently speaking into my iphone memos and then i am going to upload this into soundcloud. Last year i had no difficulties and i do not believe there will be any this time.

I used wix.com to create a website for my second evaluation on synergy. I found that this online software is an amazing site for when you need to present something such as an evaluation neetly. I felt that it was self explanatory and that i have been able to utilise it to the best of my abilities. I found that adding photos and shapes were quite simple and so was creating your down distinctive layout. This was because there was a toolbar on the left hand side of the screen which had everything that i needed to use. The only negative element that i had regarding this is importing a single video in from your computer. i could not understand at first how to do this, and there was not a demo video. Therefore i had to look at youtube tutorials to help me understand the meaning between videos and channels. However, eventually, i understood and was able to present this effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment